Thursday, December 2, 2021

Two things on 12/2/20221

I think it’s a good idea to count down to the new year, by expressing gratitude for this one. No length of time is going to be perfect for everybody. However, whether we know it then or not, we all learn and grow from whatever our experiences in our life.

With age comes wisdom, and that is certainly a big thing to be thankful for. Other than that, the many little things, the many serendipities in our life, our many friends and acquaintances, and the good times we have had with them, are all worthy of our gratitude. 

When I started this day, I had other things in mind, and now at the day’s close, there’s something more unique to be thankful for.

The first should really be the nice discussion I had on our post dinner walk. We spoke about Banksy. Though I’ve known about him for many years, and even know someone who owns an autographed limited edition print, which I have seen, there were stories of his escapades in Bristol (Banks’s hometown) and more notably in LA and NYC, that made for interesting conversation. 

The second thing to be thankful for today, was the most delicious sugar sweet blueberries that I had today. Finished off the whole container. Btw, fruit does not taste the same everywhere. Such a pity. Why the heck does food taste different in the USA. Do you suppose it could be the water? 

I still haven’t written what I really want to write about. Maybe it will come someday.

This is a start. There’s so much to be thankful for. Actually, I’m also very thankful for You Tube. It has brought the music back into my life. It gives me so much pleasure to see a huge revival of OP Nayyar songs, being sung by everyday young people. Today’s discovery was this one: https://youtu.be/iUGtb2WJsPs made perfectly their own, with their regional accents, which made it even more delightfully individualized. I have seen a lot many other such videos too, from all parts of India. OP Nayyar’s compositions have so much joy, and that he used Asha Bhonsle far more than Lataji is pivotal to the fact, that it was his intention to have that joie de vivre which is the undertone in Asha Ji’s voice. 

So I felt quite ashamed that I complain about You Tube taking me down a rabbit hole so to speak, in search of the next soundtrack, when actually it’s my own lack of will power to blame. If anything, You Tube has revived a certain enthusiasm that I seemed to have lost along the way. 

Let me leave you with a surprise singer singing my favorite OP Nayyar song: https://youtu.be/4EMHLbif4As What impressed me here, was not just that it was a Pakistani singer, but they had a real orchestra of sorts, no keyboard crap that imitates all the musical instruments. Seems fake and dishonest, and does a disservice to music. Maybe, I don’t know enough, and feel that way, so please forgive me if anyone reading knows better. The man here actually plays the violin, an instrument that usually has a foreboding sound in movies and because of that, it normally completely turns me off. Here however, it is absolutely delightful and charming. Only OP Nayyar can make a violin sound so romantic! My heart is smiling and still singing this song. 

Veenu 

December 2, 2021.

11:53 pm.

No comments: