Saturday, December 25, 2021

Happy Christmas is what we said in School!

Wonder who started the Merry Christmas? Probably the Pilgrims, who wanted to do everything different from the Mother country? In the UK,  it’s still not uncommon to say Happy Christmas. 

Woke up to a white Christmas. Looked quite pretty. Last night, I was outside trying to capture the Aurora, when the flurries started. So, while this morning was not a surprise, it was still a source of amazement and joy. 

The speckled brown birds that come in hoards every morning, to feed in the grassy patch at the back of the house, today sat on the fence that divides the Croft from the house grounds.They were just looking towards the house when I saw them outside around 9:30 am soon after sunrise. No worms today, with snow on the ground. Since I did not have birdseed, I thought I’d give them my spelt bread, as I wasn’t sure they would eat it. So I tried a little bit of it, very, very little. They looked, flew towards the bread, and then off and away they flew. 

A few minutes later, I thought I’d check, and to my surprise it was all gone and they were pecking around for more. I really did not want to feed them bread,  it also had no seed at home. Then, I remembered we have breakfast oatmeal, and thought I would try that. Same story. It was all but ignored. Not even 5 minutes later, they were polishing it off Asif it’s a breakfast favorite with them too. And now, they did not care about me, as I looked through the window. Very pleased about that, though I wish they find something in the wild. I’m sure nature has an arrangement. 

Even the sheep are less bashful now, and don’t run away upon seeing me watch them. They hung around close to the fence, looking at me, as if I’m a new specimen they have just encountered. Most of them look at me with disdain, however, I’m not going to take things personally. 

It was really quite cold today, with temperatures ranging from 31-36F. 
The Aurora have been largely elusive, and again, I’m not taking it personally. On the whole, the sky has been rewarding, and my camera is deliriously happy! What’s not to be thankful for? 

It was a nice quiet Christmas Day, and I saw old photos of Christmases of the past years, evidence of how we have all grown older. The last year has been rough and I think my aging accelerated a fair bit. Yet, amidst all the craziness, and madness I underwent a radical shift in temperament and attitude, thanks to my nuns. 

It’s been a hard year for all of us, for most people I know. However, almost everyone I know was making plans, and there was hope. It’s all we need, and for that, I am grateful. 

Veenu Banga
12/25/2021
11:11 pm.

1 comment:

Vijay said...

Nice to read the experience with the birds 🦢 and sheep 🐑. Sounds like an awesome experience. Same with the search for the Aurora/ Northern lights. Please share any pictures if possible.