Monday, December 6, 2021

On 12/06/2021

 “Got nothing to be grateful for, check your pulse,” said the notice board outside a Baptist church on Wekiva Springs Road. I had read this some years ago, and it has stayed with me. 

This came to mind today as I sat down to write. I was going to start this piece with, “what’s not to be grateful for, as long as we are alive?’ And then I remembered the church board quote again, and thought, let me give it credit for saying it so eloquently.

Among other things in the month of a December, I’m grateful for the four seasons, especially as I live in a place where it’s warmer than most places, for most of the year. It’s not just the magic in each season, but also how everything changes. Even the demeanor of the birds is different. I saw a lone crow almost shivering today. In the summer, they’re more social, but come winter, even birds don’t get out much. 

It’s also in December, that the winter solstice quietly happens, and the countdown to Spring officially begins as the nights suddenly start growing shorter and the days start to become longer. Silently, softly, gently, effortlessly, regularly, unnoticed and without fail turn the hands of time. 

From one solstice to the next life happens with its own dark and bright days, away from the cycle of nature. People are distracted by the so called day to day ‘real’ life, when actually the reality of the universe is not in our control. 

Today, on the 6th day of a December, I’m also happy about a phone call from a friend.I’m thankful for the gentle rain that watered our yards, and gracefully receded, allowing the sun to shine through. 

I’m grateful I resisted You Tube, not out of a sense of triumph, but more out of respect of the fact that I can do without it naturally. It was a day of simple pleasures, courier deliveries, reading, listening to a podcast, and eating hot food. 


I’m grateful for the yawn that reminds me sleep beckons, and I must heed its call. So on that dreamy note, a very good night to all! 

Veenu

12/06/2021.

11:05 pm.


No comments: