Saturday, January 8, 2022

My mum would have been 99 today!

So many thoughts churning around in my head. I could write a couple of blogs today. Yet, the day comes with a restlessness that flowed like an under current, there, but not quite visible. Not interrupting anything, not creating a disturbance, just a whisper that was barely heard, a presence barely there, as I went about a very busy day.

Today my mother would have been 99 years old. Tomorrow is Gurpurab, a holy day for the Faith she was born into. All the days of our life come and go, whether or not we notice. 

Sometimes, we don’t need words. Today is that kind of day. When things, every thing, about a person, about their existence, was only possible because today 99 years ago, a child was born. 

I wonder what her parents thought that day? What did my grandmother eat? Where was my grandfather? Where were my mother’s older siblings? What were they doing, and how did they receive the news? 

How different was that time from the world as we know it today. In a day, we can fly across the seas, and be on another continent. Such are the random thoughts that cross my mind. 

Did my mother ever foresee her future as it turned out to be? Did she ever expect the world to change and advance at the speed it did in the last several years. 

What were her dreams? What did she not tell me? My dear precious mother. Rest in eternal peace. 

Today, I am grateful for this life. Tomorrow I will celebrate life again. That is the best way I know of that I can celebrate you, my dearest precious mother. But for you, my world would not be. 

In ever loving memory of my dear departed mother.

Your daughter,

Veenu Banga

01/08/2022.

11:54 pm.


No comments: