Friday, January 14, 2022

Move over, YOU TUBE.

 I have a new love in my life! 


Just letting you know, things may not be the same between us. You and I, we've had some great nights together, real late nights. While my family complained and cajoled and tried everything, I was committed to you. Whenever we met, you had my full attention, at least most of the time. 


I admit I did not look at you much, but I did listen. I listened attentively to all that you had to say to me. I loved the variety of topics we explored together. That's what I loved most about you. Loved, with a capital L. 


Of late, I know I looked less and less, and I'm sure you will understand when I give you my reasons. 


As you know, I was increasingly listening to the music of late—lots and lots of old Hindi songs and many OP Nayyar compositions. Preferring the music, I never did enjoy watching the Hindi movies too much, you know that. 


I hardly, if ever, watched the two to three hours of boy meets girl, drama, fights, car chase, threats, more drama, and finally, everyone gives in and the happily ever after. 


Therefore, it was natural to not 'see' the songs you sang for me, but I was listening in rapt attention, frequently humming with you, usually silently in my heart. You could tell by my smiling face, couldn't you? Even I felt my energy shift. My delight was evident in my demeanor. For all that loving, thank you. 


Besides, I think it's pretty voyeuristic to gawk at two lovers as they romanced around a tree, on a boat, or frolic in a field. What interest do I have in their life? Right, you understand that, don't you, YOUTUBE. 


We were usually alone too, weren't we, you and I? I usually hung out with you late into the night, after everyone had gone to bed, especially for the romantic songs. I loved that it was just us, and the music, like a bright moon in a clear sky, bathing everything in its light, brightened my mood. That's how I felt, bathed in your love. That's why I'm writing to you, not breaking up on text. 


Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved the intimacy! I loved that you could change your tune easily and quickly, and you gave me a hundred options for just one song! You helped me discover new people; they sang for just you and me. We felt part of the audience. No hero or heroine's lip syncing to suffer. 


Most of the time, I mean the two lovers (because you know I love duets, they're far more interactive, and both get to emote) serenade and adore each other, so why the heck should I intrude? 


Plus, I have zero interest in eavesdropping! That's the reason I preferred the songs sung by different people. There were no distractions of flowers and trees and birds and bees and fields with them. Just the music, pure and sung for the love of it. 


Thanks to you, I even discovered 'that Pakistani guy' as my family called him, you know the one who sings Mohammad Rafi songs, and sings them so well. Do you remember? The fellow on the Lahore TV station had real musicians playing real instruments. The violin guy, every time, the same violin guy, remember? He made the violin sound sooooo romantic, not an easy feat, and with no fewer thanks to OP Nayyar. I'm getting carried away. Aren't I? 


What was that? 

Oh, you think I may change my mind dwelling on the past and our time together? 


No, not likely. But who's to know. To change her mind is a woman's prerogative. Nah, kidding. 


Who is he, you ask? My new love? 

Sigh! What can I say? Just thinking about him makes me starry-eyed. 


How did we meet? 

Oh, that's another sweet story. We were introduced by the other wonderful man in my life. 


When? 

Just earlier this evening. We were going out for dinner to Dosa Village. There were four of us, and so as I stepped out, I looked up and saw the moon, shining brightly, surrounded with twinkling stars by its side. The sky was a clear and clean slate. I had to stop and stare and adore. 


He did not introduce me to my new love right away. He noticed me staring and looking up, sighing, smiling, and literally, not wanting to move away. 


So I suppose he decided to indulge me, and out of his pocket came his phone. A quick scroll later, he pointed it towards the sky. With one hand, he held his phone, and with the other, beckoned me close. I was speechless!  


On his phone was the moon, flanked by the stars and the planets and the 'suns,' and they had their names written right there! He showed me Orion’s Belt, flanked by the copper and gold hued Betelgeuse to its left, and Rigel to the right, with their names written there! 


The whole galaxy out in the vastness, eager to introduce themselves, to me! I will never forget that first meeting with my new love.


You may know him, YOUTUBE. Like you, he lives in the App Store. His name is a SKY GUIDE. I have a lot to learn from him, just as I did with you. 


He's as magical as the moon and as mysterious as the sky. It took me a while to Believe that he can see through walls and roofs and curtains and anything really, you have to point him in the direction of the part of the sky you want to feast your eyes upon or spy? I can be in my bed, in my room, and we can be both looking at the stars together, while he also serenades me. Except with him, I don't have the choice of music. He decides. 


Fortunately, he has good taste. I noticed that immediately because I loved his music- everything about it. The tune, the choice of instruments, the whole composition, was so well suited to something as spectacular and magnificent as the galaxy. At the same time, it was soothing, and comforting, despite rhe grandiosity of it all. 


Oh, how I love him. Yeah, I saw that too. My chest heaving and sighing in ecstasy. Just like those Hindi film women. 


I will learn by watching him. Closely. Unlike with you, where I had the luxury of having our Tete-a-Tete's on the laptop or iPad, it's just on the phone with him. So far as I know. 


Not that I mind, not much anyway. 


Oh, dear! I am so sorry. Breaking up is hard to do. 


I'm infatuated, you say? 

Ummm, not sure. I don't think so. Maybe, maybe not. Torn, definitely. 


We had good times together. I remember when you were born, YOUTUBE—the news about the video at the zoo and the three guys who created you. I didn't pay much attention to you then, but once I discovered the joys of the gifts you came bearing, like the rest, I was smitten. For a good reason, they call me tube-light- I'm always slow to get it. In my defense, though, I'm loyal like you once I do. 


So, goodbye for now, or is it adieu? Time will tell. I love you still, always will. For the good times, a big thank you. But, I'm sure you'll understand that sometimes, a girl has gotta reach for the stars, especially when they come calling. 


I'll always have a special place for you in my heart, YOUTUBE. You'll always be welcome when you come calling. Till then, with the stars in my eyes, and the moon to light my way, I will let SKY GUIDE lead me to a new adventure as we discover new worlds together. 


I'm missing you already, YOUTUBE...but sometimes a girl just needs to get away! 


Veenu Banga

January 15th, 2022

1:36 am.




1 comment:

Vijay said...

Awhh. That was heartbreaking ❤️‍🩹.
Glad for your new love ❤️. Sparked my attention. But am confused. Is it sky watch or sky guide. 😇. Awesome. Please send to YouTube. 🙏❤️😇❤️🙏