Tuesday, January 11, 2022

A day of unexpected gifts!

In the height of winter, a day of milder temperatures is indeed a gift. It's easier to get out and about and so much nicer. What a reward! Not having to wear a woolen coat, over and above all the thermal wear, gets so burdensome. For this, and how the day progressed, I am very thankful.

Specifically, since my last trip to Leicester was on a cold, wet, windy, sullen day, with my coat insisting on wanting to fly away and me struggling to hold on to it. This in the midst of a solid stubborn shower, raining in a perfectly orchestrated manner, dancing with the wind, in stoic surrender. Could I but do otherwise, mere mortal? 

Ever since my arrival here, I have wanted to visit the Jain Center, located in the heart of downtown Leicester. This center serves as the European headquarters of the Jain Samaj. When the opportunity arose for a guided tour of the center, I gratefully accepted. 

A few logistics needed to be resolved, such as finding parking as close as possible. On my last visit, I had bravely prodded along the wet pavements of The Golden Mile, which preferred shades of gray that day.

Fortunately, today, the weather held. We even found parking nearby. I spent about 45 minutes, which I felt, was not enough. There was so much to see; I forgot to sit down! 

Someone once told me that we should always sit for a few minutes when we visit a temple. Whenever we go to a friend's house, we always sit and have a conversation with them. Yet when we go to a God's house, we barely stay a few minutes, making the motions and leaving. Since that day, I have made it a point to sit, even for a few minutes. 

So, I guess I will have to go back to the Jain Center, which I will do gladly! There was so much more to see. We hadn't expected to be allowed to stay as long as we did, so it was a huge bonus—one more thing to be thankful for.

Lunch was Dosa in great company, at a place on Belgrade Road. A welcome break after some personal errands. 

A few other stops, all good. Grateful to have a productive day!

Veenu Banga

01/11/2022

11:56 pm.


1 comment:

Vijay said...

Awesomeness. Very glad you were able to connect and enjoy alt the Jain center. Glad you had great weather today.