Tuesday, January 18, 2022

All creatures great and small

 The good Lord made them all.

Some time ago, I started thinking about planning a trip to either Kenya, the stories of which I have heard from friends, or to South Africa, which I thought may be a place to go for a Safari. 

Today, for some reason, I clocked on link on a Huff Post video, of a miraculous escape of a tiger cub, fleeing from a chase by a big hyena. The cub climbed a tree, and the hyaena, finally left in defeat. One video after another, not all with happy endings left me feeling quite sad.

Life is about perspectives. I imagined I would see swarms of graceful impalas, giraffes, and zebras, all roaming the wilds in free abandon. It never occurred to me that there may be the gangs of hyenas and lions and tigers looking to kill for food. Intellectually, we do know, but in reality, that’s not what one thinks about, when one plans to go on a Safari. I think I’ll pass. 

I couldn’t bear to see it on video, and I think witnessing it in reality will make me sick. Very sad and sobering reality of life. Really, it shouldn’t be so, because the civilized world is full of its own hyenas and lions and tigers and other birds of prey. 

Ugly hyenas. I wonder what their existence brings to the table in the whole scheme of nature. Wretched creatures. However, we should love them for what they are, and not judge them. After all they too were created by the same God who created us, or to be more accurate, they are a part of the creation, to which we belong. They probably think we’re murderous nobodies, who kill for whim. At least they kill for food. Such a shame, to be so oblivious. To be put in place by a hyenas. It’s all about perspective. Such is life.


It was cloudy all day. I had hoped to see the moonrise again today, but we did not have a minute when the clouds lifted. 

I had started the day with great optimism, and with much to write about. However, the wildlife and Safari videos were very disturbing, and impacted my mood. And then some other news stories followed, which were not very appetizing either, so an overall sourness pervaded over my thinking. I’m never going to watch that crap again. 

I forgot that I’ve broken off with You Tube. OP Nayyar’s music helped a bit, but I couldn’t listen to anything other than Deewana hua badal. By ‘that Pakistan guy’ and the female singer who is the ‘youngest Pakistani singer from the UK.’

Maybe I should try listening to that secret sacred song, that I keep in my heart, the music that one shares with only their very special loved ones. Even the name of the artist must not escape from one’s lips. Such is the secrecy surrounding that song, or your secret sacred song. 

On that note, I’ll close with a big thank you to everyone I encountered today. Without you in it, this day would not have been what it was. Good. We are all safe and Healthy. 

Grateful for the music, and the endless hours of joy it brings.

Veenu Banga

18th January 2022.

11:50 pm.




1 comment:

Vijay said...

Sobering indeed. Glad you got lifted back up by YT. And music 🎼 that you love.