Monday, March 25, 2024

The Passion and the Pupose

 Dr. Suresh Nambiar released a new song recently that came up in my social media feed today. It is so inspiring to see people make their passion their purpose. It set off a binge-watching session of his singing over the years. I'm not alone in admiring this retired doctor, who has been singing all along, judging by a very early video I saw on his page for the very first time today. Dr. Nambiar also has some duets with his daughter. 

Dr. Nambiar shot into the spotlight when he recently won the first prize for singing at a competition organized by ICICI Bank in India. Just months earlier, a clip of him singing the winning song, "Jawanian yeh mast mast," went viral and was shared widely on WhatsApp groups and Twitter. Some called him an old man, grandpa, and whatnot till his daughter finally introduced him as a doctor who retired after four decades of service in the UAE and now lives in Kunoor. 

The following is my favorite clip of Dr. Nambiar singing, mainly because his audience's joy is infectious. It doubles the pleasure of watching him sing. 

https://youtu.be/o6utexEb1so?si=oKrgsMOzA2Kl0FT8

Another person totally and indelibly colored by his passion is my friend Wilson Romero, who paints primarily women in all shapes, sizes, colors, and mysteries. He now has a Facebook presence as Wilson's Art. We first met Wilson at the Casselberry Art and Jazz Festival in 2018. He was there to display his fabulous artwork. He worked in Florida Hospital then, so I presumed this was a hobby. Wilson's paintings are primarily of women, and he had his work already hanging in the Casselberry City Hall, which was open, and we got to see his work there as well. 

Wilson is now writing poetry with his pieces of artwork. His poems express so much urgency, heart, and passion that sometimes I wonder if the poetry is superior and if his poetry created his art, which is surprising to me because I have known him as a painter all these years. His paintings have an ethereal beauty, and his women have a magical sense of self. So, his poetry came as an exceptional and welcome surprise. 

Several web pages come up with a web search for Wilson Romero art. However, I couldn't find much poetry. When we first met Wilson, his work had a Klimnt-esqueness to it. He has evolved masterfully over the years, making his style unique. Almost all of his work has a lot of detail. A nice piece of his is at the link below. There are several others even more enticing. 

https://gallery500.art/products/ro000004 

Today, I was planning to write more about trees, my close friends, and my witnesses without judgment, and to them, I count. However, YouTube takes me down its rabbit hole of music and materials. Music notwithstanding, I do injustice to myself when I go down that path. I really wanted to write- there are so many drafts. 


On another note, I wished my brother Happy Holi via text. 

"Hope you celebrated it," he replied. 

" Not really, just on the phone," I wrote back. 

"Haha" was the response. 

"It's called international Holi, and no nahana dhona chakkar afterward." I think I made a good point.

Veenu Banga 

03/25-26/2024

2:32 am.  

No comments: