Sunday, August 21, 2022

Eddie of the green coat

The back story for this little piece must come after the reading. Simply because there may be a little surprise for those not familiar with the Eddie referred to here, and there would be many. So here it is for your reading pleasure.

~

Oh, Eddie! How much I look forward to seeing you,

As you go hither and thither, far and near, on your way.

I frequently wish I could come with you, and 

See all the places you tread, 

In that smart green coat of yours.


Ever so often, I wished I could talk with you,

There are so many questions in my mind,

Once, we came almost close enough to whisper

You and I. You in your green coat,

And I, in my silver attire, we were both sailing, 

On the Northlink ferry from Lerwick to Aberdeen. 


It was a night sailing, so I did not disturb you.

I let you rest your tired mass, and I 

Then let my eyes gaze contentedly over 

Your green coat attired imposing self. Comforted, 

I closed my eyes, knowing that our nearness was real

And not a dream.


So Eddie of the green coat, or is it, Mr. Stobart 

That I should say? Do you ever glance around 

And take note of us girls, looking up longingly 

At you, as you and I, and the others like me,

Whiz past each other. Every day, 

As we keep the country well supplied. 


Till next time then, Eddie Stobart, our paths diverge here

How gracefully I see you maneuver the roundabouts

As you exit out of my sight, but only till next time, 

Then again, on a nice sunny summer’s day, we may 

Again traverse together, and our paths stay steady

Long enough for us to appreciate each other better. 


So long, Eddie. It’s Adieu, and signing off for now, 

From your longtime admirer, Mercedes E220D.


Veenu Banga

copyright August 21, 2022


Backstory:

We are a family of Road Trip lovers. One of the joys of a road trip in the UK is seeing the different trucks go about their business keeping the country well supplied. My favorite are the EDDIE STOBART trucks! 

I miss seeing them in the city streets, so it’s always a delight when I do spot them off highway. In my opinion the Eddie Stobart trucks are the best behaved and best looking fleet. So here’s a tribute to the Eddie Stobart boys in Green! I sincerely hope you enjoyed reading the poem, as much as I loved writing it. 

Thanks for reading!
Veenu




No comments: