Sunday, October 16, 2022

Another year, one past, the next starts

  Time goes away, memory brings it back, round snd round, we go in circles. I thought it was yesterday, but did not feel it. My body, soul and spirit know better. It was today, and I felt it. The sadness, the tears, though far lessened, still flow easily when I miss her. Sometimes, when I think of her bravery, her fierce zest for life, I’m amazed. 

Climbing the St. Augustine lighthouse, at age 80! Insisting on using the stairs in their building, from the top third and fourth floor penthouse, in Hyderabad. Always. When the driver would come to take her out, even if he took the lift, she took the stairs.  

She was far from perfect. My dear beloved mother. But she was all I had, and with her passing, I became an orphan. Something I did not realize then.

However, I’m far from alone. Any child, every child must but have strong emotions with regards to a parent. Whatever that may be. I can say that I was blessed, but for her, I would not have been given the opportunities that I did. 

Just as we, as parents, are prone to err, she may have made mistakes, except I see none. I am amazed at her grit. In 39 minutes, this day will be over. Another year will start afresh, counting down the time. 

To my mother, grandmother and grandfather, and to all our ancestors before them, my humble obeisance. I live this day because you came before me. My children are here, because you did all things right. Why does one feel, that we don’t do justice to our ancestors? I wonder, if you all, my ancestors, felt the same in your lifetime? 

Never a moment when I do not look back in gratitude and adoration. Of you. 

Your ever loving daughter,

Veenu 

10/16/202211:26 pm

No comments: