Thursday, July 15, 2021

A silvery crescent rests on blue

Sometimes I wish there was an App, which if you would point to a star the sky, will tell you which star it is. (Just as Shazam can identify music) I think I must have seen Venus, it was out west, and quite high. It seemed so close, it was so brilliant. I like to imagine it’s a spaceship, with people inside, coming to visit us- us as in all of humanity. They’re coming to Earth. How excited they must be! We have everything. Lots of water in our oceans and rivers, and streams. Good soil in large parts. We have the Amazon basin, and we have Hollywood (and Bollywood) and the internet, etc. Etc. American cultural exports are known everywhere. Oh dear, if they only knew! What a mess we’re making, a mess of this beautiful planet!

However, I digress. We were out walking after dinner, and as always I was looking skywards and saw the moon. There is something so magical about the waxing moon, it’s like loaded with Energy, like a child thriving on love, it has a sense of robustness about it, and it feels as if it is that love, that is accelerating it’s growth. 

The exact opposite happens with the waning moon. It’s more yin, a sobering spectacle, till one approaches Amavasya, and hope returns. I love watching the moon, and the sky, especially at sunrise and set. There is an etherealness to it, more than that, it the unexpectedness-a new sky every moment, a new sky every sunrise and sunset. The shapes are different, the palette, even the sky itself, is of a different hue, every single day. Now even my friends and family know to tell me if they see a beautiful sky. 

So here we were, just past nine, 9:02 pm to be exact. The sun had long gone to bed, being an early riser these days. However, the sky was still a beautiful blue, with the silky texture like covered with satin on the surface. Oh, and I also wish there was an App, that if you pointed it to a color, it would tell you which color it was, what ones were predominantly in that and etc. Because the sky was the bluest I’ve seen at that time of night. Let’s call it Inviting Blue. And, yes, I took pictures, and yes, I will share them. Now, without further ado. Enjoy. 




In the second photo, the moon is on the top left, and if you look between the little blue island like opening between the two trees on the lower right, you can see the bright star. I’m guessing it’s the Evening star. Can’t say as I’m no astronomer. You may need to zoom in to see it. 

Veenu Banga

July 7, 2021.

11:27 pm

No comments: